Nominations and registration for elections are open! Your union (the Graduate Employee Organization) is holding elections to fill one half-time (0.5 FTE) assistantship position on the Organizing Committee with an official start-work date of Monday, October 18. Similar to Fall 2020 elections, all graduate employees interested in voting should register prior to voting. You will find more information below.
The GEO Organizing Committee is composed of five Graduate Assistants at UMass Boston. We work collaboratively to advocate for graduate employee rights within the school and enrichment opportunities for graduate workers at UMass Boston. Some of the projects in which the Organizing Committee are currently working on include:
- Bargaining a new contract with UMB’s administration to address labor concerns affecting graduate employees
- Engaging with graduate employees and community members of UMass Boston to organize collective action and increase membership engagement
- Administering Scholarly Support Funds (SSF) for students seeking funding to present at or attend conferences
- Mediating member grievances
- Attending and helping organize coalition efforts within the community
- Developing communications content for the website, social media, and e-newsletters.
- Wednesday, September 15: Nomination & Voting Registration period starts
- Sunday, September 26: Nomination period closes
- Monday, September 27: Campaign period starts
- Friday, October 8: Voting Registration ends
- Tuesday & Wednesday, October 12 and 13: Voting days
- Friday, October 15: Result Announcement
How do I nominate myself?
To nominate yourself, you must email your completed nomination form and evidence that you are an active dues-paying member (your most recent pay stub – accessed through HR Direct) or a Dues authorization Form to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Sunday, September 26 at 5:00 p.m. EST. Please complete all sections of the nomination form.