The Graduate Employee Organization (GEO) is holding elections!
The GEO Organizing Committee is comprised of Graduate Assistants at UMass Boston. We work collaboratively to advocate for Graduate Employee rights on campus and enrichment opportunities for our members. Though one of the main functions of this position will be assisting in outreach to members and allies on campus in order to increase membership engagement, the duties are varied and are not strictly limited to outreach. Projects the Organizing Committee undertook this year include:
- Writing for and editing the Graduate Advocate, our biannual publication.
- Administering Scholarly Support Funds for students seeking funding to present at conferences.
- Planning and hosting semester parties for members and allies.
- Recruiting for and facilitating the Assembly of Stewards monthly meetings.
- Developing communications content for the website, social media, and e-newsletters.
- Collaborating with the University to address labor concerns which affect graduate employees.
- Mediating member grievances.
This position will require a commitment of 9 hours per week starting Fall 2018 semester. Every member of the Organizing Committee is responsible for holding weekly office hours and attending weekly meetings of the Organizing Committee.
All GEO members are eligible for this position: both PhD and Master’s degree candidates. Candidates for this position must have at least one Graduate Assistantship on campus currently and be a full, dues-paying member of the GEO in good standing.
Nominations will be accepted until midnight on September 14th, 2018, followed by a two-week campaign period.
For more information about the GEO, please visit our website and for updates on what we’re doing, follow us on Facebook.