One of these two candidates will fill one position in the GEO Organizing Committee this semester. Check them out and prepare for voting.
Register before it’s too late! The elections voting registration period ends on Friday, October 8 at 5 p.m. EST. Everyone needs to register prior to voting. To register, make sure to send a filled membership dues form from your UMB email to us at email@example.com. For more information on elections, click here.
Nominations and registration for elections are open! Your union (the Graduate Employee Organization) is holding elections to fill one half-time (0.5 FTE) assistantship position on the Organizing Committee with an official start-work date of Monday, October 18. Similar to Fall 2020 elections, all graduate employees interested in voting should register prior to voting. You will find more information below.
The GEO Organizing Committee is composed of five Graduate Assistants at UMass Boston. We work collaboratively to advocate for graduate employee rights within the school and enrichment opportunities for graduate workers at UMass Boston. Some of the projects in which the Organizing Committee are currently working on include:
- Bargaining a new contract with UMB’s administration to address labor concerns affecting graduate employees
- Engaging with graduate employees and community members of UMass Boston to organize collective action and increase membership engagement
- Administering Scholarly Support Funds (SSF) for students seeking funding to present at or attend conferences
- Mediating member grievances
- Attending and helping organize coalition efforts within the community
- Developing communications content for the website, social media, and e-newsletters.
- Wednesday, September 15: Nomination & Voting Registration period starts
- Sunday, September 26: Nomination period closes
- Monday, September 27: Campaign period starts
- Friday, October 8: Voting Registration ends
- Tuesday & Wednesday, October 12 and 13: Voting days
- Friday, October 15: Result Announcement
How do I nominate myself?
To nominate yourself, you must email your completed nomination form and evidence that you are an active dues-paying member (your most recent pay stub – accessed through HR Direct) or a Dues authorization Form to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Sunday, September 26 at 5:00 p.m. EST. Please complete all sections of the nomination form.
GEO has launched a new survey inviting you to share your experiences as a graduate assistant at UMass Boston.
It feels important to say this: we know how hard the last few years have been and how painful a lot of the subjects in the survey are. Wages haven’t gone up, university officials have been a mix of dismissive and unresponsive, bargaining has been repeatedly delayed by the university – our goal, with this survey, is to strengthen our ability to present a unified front at the bargaining table and your testimonies are essential to that task.
We know that you are all often too busy, stressed, stacked up with classes and work and family and your second or third jobs to attend bargaining sessions: it’s why we’re asking for these testimonies. To read them on your behalf, anonymously, to stress to the university how important it is we get bargaining moving, and how absolutely essential it is that our work comes with respect, dignity, and proper conditions.
You can help by taking the survey here
Ara has completed her run as your elected representative and we thank her for her service and wish her luck!
We will thus have one open spot on the organizing committee this coming fall 2021, and as always, are seeking a tenacious graduate student to come and join us to advocate for the rights of every graduate assistant at UMass Boston.
If you’re interested, watch this space: we’ll be publishing the timeline and additional information shortly!